Monday, August 13, 2012

Why I love, love, love HBO’s “The Newsroom”

I recently discovered HBO’s show “The Newsroom” starring Jeff Daniels and Emily Mortimer, alongside many other amazing actors. I came late to the party, having the benefit to allow myself a little Newsroom-marathon with the first seven episodes over one weekend. And, boy, did I have a good time!

The critics have been rather sniffy about the show (unrealistic, manipulative, cheesy) – but it took me pretty much five minutes (or less – just as long as the “America is great”-rant takes) to fall in love with it. Head over heels.

Why? Very simple reason: I am hugely entertained. To me, it is a soap-opera with brains and a mission, sparkling screwball comedy-worthy dialogue, and likeable characters I can root for, sufficiently damaged and flawed  to be interesting.

Glad to hear that HBO is giving it a second season. But first – can’t wait to see how this one ends.

1 comment:

  1. I’m so glad to run into someone else who really enjoys this show! I was talking about this the other day with one of my Dish co-workers and we both really like it. Since I’m not usually home on Sunday nights, I like to watch it with Dishonline. It makes the train ride to work much more enjoyable. I was so happy when it got renewed for a second season. My favorite part of The Newsroom is the characters, and I’m looking forward to seeing where they go from here.

    ReplyDelete